How to do a project review on drupal.org
Recently I'm quite active on drupal.org. We are now in the project application process for drupalmonitor_connector module. To speed up the feedback from the community, you can do "reviews" on other project and therefore get a bonus. Here is what I usually do when starting a review on other projects.
- I usually start reading the project description itself on the project application review (take one here http://drupal.org/project/issues/projectapplications?status=8). If I don't understand the description at all, sometimes I add a note that it may should be improved pointing the assumptions about how I understood it to help the contributor understand "first time readers". It's important that first time user of the project actually understand what the project is all about.
- Then I read the existing comments to understand what the feedback was so far.
- Then I do http://ventral.org/pareview/, to check if there are any code standard issues. If there are issues I copy the full url of http://ventral.org/pareview/ to give the contributor easy access to that feedback.
- Then I download the module via git, install it on my local "review" site and run Coder. http://drupal.org/project/coder. If coder shows issues I mention the review comment.
- Then I check README.txt to check the documentation. Again, this should be cristal clear for first time users. More information is better than less. I very enjoy modules that explain the functionality in one sentence in the beginning. I also check if there is a section for "Requirements", "Configuration", "Installation" and maybe security or risk notes.
- Then I enable the module and play around with the module to see if it works as expected. Besides the pure functionality I also check the usability of the admin pages. If I don't get it in the first place (e.g. a missing description below an input field) or a missleading label I note it in the review comment.
- Then I check the module.info file.
Then I check the module.module file and other source code files. There are typical issues for first time contributors (as me):
- usage of php core functions like header() instead of drupal_header() or exit() instead of drupal_header()
- file includes are not correctly done e.g. drupal_add_css(), drupal_add_js() or include/module_load_include()
- usage of global variables
- documentation or code (variable names, functions) is partly non english
- not all labels are in t() functions
- check the code documentation
I hope this list helps anybody to make better project application reviews. If you have an addition, you are welcome to comment and give feedback.
- How to review Full Project applications: http://drupal.org/node/894256
- Drupal application workflow: http://drupal.org/node/532400
- Applications that did not get a review in a long time: http://drupal.org/project/issues/projectapplications?order=last_comment_...